6/10/2015

"It's Kind of a Funny Story" by Ned Vizzini

“People are screwed up in this world. I'd rather be with someone screwed and open about it than somebody perfect and...you know... ready to explode.” 

Sooo... this book was very interesting, I'd say. I had to read it for my English class and I read it in like one day, so it's not a bad book, but I just don't like the genre "depressed young adult". Still, it was a good book, just not my favourite.


Ambitious New York City teenager Craig Gilner is determined to succeed at life - which means getting into the right high school to get into the right job. But once Craig aces his way into Manhattan's Executive Pre-Professional High School, the pressure becomes unbearable. He stops eating and sleeping until, one night, he nearly kills himself.

Craig's suicidal episode gets him checked into a mental hospital, where his new neighbors include a transsexual sex addict, a girl who has scarred her own face with scissors, and the self-elected President Armelio. There, Craig is finally able to confront the sources of his anxiety. (source: goodreads)

I think that this book can help a lot of teens, who feel depressed. I mean some "dark"-books don't end well, so there is no positive help in it, but this one's awesome. Craig just understands that life's worth living and fighting for. You can jump, swim, love ,eat ,drink, have fun, feel.
And I think that's the most important thing in life. I would never want to stop feeling things. Never.
So that's what I love about Craig. He's just so positive and intelligent (I mean most of the people just jump and don't think twice about what they're loosing)  and the book's just so accurate!
For example, I love how Craig just says that he loves peeing, because it's easy. You're never going to read THAT again!


All in all I'd recommend this book to teens, just so they can get an idea of how it's like to be depressed and maybe even help depressed teens. Even if you don't like the genre (like me) it's worth reading.

Love,


No comments:

Post a Comment