3/17/2016

"Fangirl" by Rainbow Rowell

“To really be a nerd, she'd decided, you had to prefer fictional worlds to the real one.” 

Hello internet! 
Today I present you the review to "Fangirl" by Rainbow Rowell. I started this book once already as an eBook but I am just no good at reading eBooks. It just feels wrong, you know?
So finally, about a year later I bought the paperback at an AMAZING bookstore in Maastricht. The bookstore was in a church. Like the church was the books store. Wait, here's a pic of the inside: 


Yes, yes this is real.

Anyway let's just start with the review, shall we?


Cath is a Simon Snow fan.

Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan...

But for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.

Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words... And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this?

Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?

And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?  (source: goodreads)

This book was as lovely as "Eleanor and Park", with relatable and sweet characters. The story was not too hard on me and it really was an easy read. It was like a drug: when I had to stop I craved to keep on reading the story. 
I sometimes found the main character Cath a bit annoying, but her concerns were reasonable (for the the most part). And Levi. My god how can someone be so hot AND cute in Starbucks clothing?!
Anyhow. Umm, where was I? Right, Levi. He's like the cute neighbor who happens to be quite hot too. Win-win  situation!
Reagan is the creepy/ cool girl. I like her bc she's sarcastic. I like sarcastic people.
Cath's twin sister Wren is more of a party girl. First I didn't really like her bc of her behaviour toward Cath and life in general but after you get to know her better, you get why she does what she does and in the end she learns her lesson and everything is rainbows and unicorns again (see what I did there?).

The storyline was entertaining and emotional, although I didn't cry. That's good I guess. You can really, as I said before, relate to the scenarios bc Cath's a fangirl, we are fangirls. We just get her and her obsession with fan shirts, fan stuff oh and we of course can't forget about fanfiction!
Fanfiction is a big part of the story and at the beginning of a new chapter is always a little snippet of a Simon Snow story. Tbh I really wanna read the book and I can!
Rainbow Rowell released the book Cath's fan fiction is based on called "Carry On".
I haven't read it yet so I'm still not sure if it's the actual Simon Snow book or the fanfiction but either way I gotta have that book.
You can read the summary of "Carry On" here:
 http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28356624-carry-on

That's it for now, I hope you enjoyed this post and I'll see you soon!

Love,




No comments:

Post a Comment